Forum

You are not logged in.

#1 06-02-2018 20:39:39

oric_dev
Membre

MongoDb: how to start (using a dumped .bson file to restore)

Hello, i want to use a dumped bson file to initialize my MongoDb (which I can restore with mongorestore). My website is called "tuttifrutti".
Is this possible ?
I suspect i have to create it from scratch by re-creating its content via MongoClient (Python).

So far, here are the steps I followed:
- i created in my admin interface a new MongoDb database (tuttifrutti_off)
- on top appears the comment "Hôte MongoDB : mongodb-tuttifrutti.alwaysdata.net"
- on Python, I tried using MongoClient("mongodb://tuttifrutti:<password>@mongodb-tuttifrutti.alwaysdata.net") but it fails with "authentication failed".
so I tried without login:password, but when trying to create a collection it states 'not authorized on tuttifrutti_off to execute command { listCollections: 1, cursor: {} }'

Questions:
- what login should I use for accessing the mongo-db? shall I use the same login as the name of my website and my home directory?
- can I access the host "mongodb-tuttifrutti.alwaysdata.net" via ssh or whatever, in command line I mean, in order to perform the mongorestore command?
- how can I restore my bson db?
- where is the mongodb stored ? apparently not within my home directory
All this is a bit mysterious.

Thanks for any support.
kind regards, Olivier.

Last edited by oric_dev (06-02-2018 21:41:56)

#2 07-02-2018 11:19:46

@Cyril
Staff
Website

Re: MongoDb: how to start (using a dumped .bson file to restore)

Hello,

oric_dev wrote:

- what login should I use for accessing the mongo-db? shall I use the same login as the name of my website and my home directory?

You can manage your MongoDB users in the Databases > MongoDB > User management section. By default, you already have a user having the same name as your account (i.e. tuttifrutti).

oric_dev wrote:

- can I access the host "mongodb-tuttifrutti.alwaysdata.net" via ssh or whatever, in command line I mean, in order to perform the mongorestore command?

Yes, this command should work:

mongo -p -u tuttifrutti mongodb-tuttifrutti.alwaysdata.net/tuttifrutti_off
oric_dev wrote:

- how can I restore my bson db?

Using mongorestore, which is already installed on our servers.

oric_dev wrote:

- where is the mongodb stored ? apparently not within my home directory

MongoDB runs on a shared server you can only access remotely. You cannot access the data files directly.

#3 08-02-2018 21:36:41

oric_dev
Membre

Bonjour Cyril, merci pour toutes ces informations smile.

Actually, when I am trying the advised connection command you've been provided, I get an authorization failure message, even though I am sure to use the correct password. I created a new user also to get more sure, but still the connection fails.

--> $ mongo -p -u tuttifrutti mongodb-tuttifrutti.alwaysdata.net/tuttifrutti_off                                                                             
MongoDB shell version: 2.6.10                                                                                                                                     
Enter password:
connecting to: mongodb-tuttifrutti.alwaysdata.net/tuttifrutti_off
2018-02-08T20:57:16.563+0100 Error: 18 { ok: 0.0, errmsg: "auth failed", code: 18 } at src/mongo/shell/db.js:1287
exception: login failed
--> olivier@heracles:~

User has full access. It behaves as if the database tuttifrutti_off did not exist (or not initialized?). Is it sufficient to create a document through the interface (databases > MongoDb > add a database), or is another step required?

Did I miss something?

thanks for help & kind regards, Olivier.

#4 09-02-2018 09:23:06

@Cyril
Staff
Website

I thought you were using the 'mongo' command on our SSH servers, but you're running it locally. It's too old (2.6.10) to work with latest MongoDB versions, you need to upgrade.

#5 12-02-2018 21:44:12

oric_dev
Membre

This is actually working fine directly on ssh server.. based on the syntax of the mongo command to use, I did not imagine it could be used directly on the server. Thanks a lot for having helped! It works very fine now.

Board footer